Wednesday, December 9, 2009

PLEASE SEE THIS: Happiness

I think I've done an okay job at establishing a few reoccurring blog entries on here, whether it be "Filmmakers" or "Movies I'm Looking Forward To" or recommending films in entries like Suicide Club or 4 Months, 3 Weeks, And 2 Days. Well now I'm introducing a possibly new reoccurring blog entry in what I'm calling "PLEASE SEE THIS." In these entries I'm going to talk about a certain film in which I feel that people should absolutely see. And it's not just because I personally find these certain movies enjoyable, it's also because I find them very important to view. Whether it be to open someone's horizons to new and/or rare film experiences or because the film itself is very important in the context of either its subject matter or important to the genre or culture it's catering to.

So the first film I'm going to touch on in this new reoccurring blog series is a little indie flick entitled Happiness. This movie was released in 1998 and was written and directed by Todd Solondz, the same person who directed Welcome To The Dollhouse which won the grand jury prize at sundance back in 1996. The reason I think this film is so important to view is because after seeing it I immediately felt that it was a cinematic experience like no other. I really don't think that there's a film out there like it. Happiness is a movie that is dark, funny, disturbing, and surprisingly moving. It's a film that highlights everything that's savage and despicable in this world and yet shows how those things can be pure happiness to someone else. It's a truly brilliant and unapologetic film from an absolutely fearless filmmaker.

I beg of ye to please try and see Happiness at some point in your life, because if you don't well then a basket of kittens will be thrown down a well that holds fire and spikes instead of water!! Okay that was just a lie, but seriously try to see this film because it is a real dark comedy gem! You wont be disappointed if you enjoy movies that make you laugh at things that you're not sure if you're suppose to be laughing at. And did I mention that it stars a young Philip Seymour Hoffman in one of my favorite roles of his?

No comments:

Post a Comment